Monday 11 April 2011

Sunny style

This weekend a visitor made his merry way to the UK. No I’m not talking about my uncle Yan (who did in fact come over from Italy, and jolly nice it was to see him too), I’m talking about the SUN!
Yes, the big yellow ball in the sky popped round for a visit, notching the temperature up to a balmy-for-April 22 degrees Celsius. Here are some changes that happen in the UK when we get rare weekend weather like this in April:
1.       The first thing you mention to anyone you meet centres around the weather: “isn’t it gorgeous with the sun out?”; “yes, everything always looks so much brighter and happier when it’s sunny”
2.       Despite the above, everyone still retains a splash of pessimism: “it’s definitely NOT going to last”; “I read somewhere that if we have a sunny April, we won’t have a sunny summer” and “ this weather is waaay too good to be true, it’ll be cold and wet next week” etc
3.       Everyone digs out their flip-fliops/summer vests/shorts/mini skirts/bikini tops from the back of wardrobe and wears with pride
4.       You feel guilty for being inside, even if it’s just for a few minutes, because you are missing out on something that doesn’t happen very often
5.       You feel compelled to buy all the stuff you need for your summer holiday including clothes, mini deodorant and sun lotion, even though it’s weeks away
6.       You keep thinking “wouldn’t this be a fantastic day to get married” even if you are already married, or have no plans to get married
If, like me, you’ve been hoarding one or two tops from the first drops of the spring collections back in February, waiting for the perfect moment to reveal them to the world, THIS WAS THAT MOMENT! And hence Saturday was the day when I fell back in love with the maxi skirt.

Me in my simple maxi-skirt-and-tank combo

This is the maxi skirt I wore on Saturday. It’s from Dorothy Perkins and it’s perfect for a woman who is challenged in the height department because it has a ‘straight down’ narrow cut without any pleats, which I have discovered has a fabulous leg-lengthening effect. In addition, the dark tones also make it very slimming, and it goes with just about any top. I wore it with a simple white tank vest, black strappy flat sandals and a pendant necklace.

On my wish list now is a maxi skirt in a similar cut in a bright colour, made of silk or a silk mix. I’m going to keep an eye out now so that when the sun pays us another visit, I’ll be ready for it.
Strappy black flat sandals



Animal print maxi skirt

No comments:

Post a Comment