Friday 8 April 2011

Play time

Did I mention I'm in a play?

Well, I'm in a play, having recently joined a local amdram group by the name of Hanwell and Ealing Operatic Society (HEOS). It's a production of Half a Sixpence and is taking place from Wednesday evening through to Saturday evening next week, including a Saturday matinee (me? nervous? Noooooo..ahem...).
 
Set in Folkestone in the early 1900s, Half a Sixpence tells the story of a draper's apprentice Arthur Kipps who unexpectedly inherits, then loses, a fortune. He is bedazzled by the attentions of the genteel but impoverished Walsinghams (I play Helen Walsingham, who he briefly becomes engaged to) and forsakes his childhood sweetheart and fellow shop workers to join them, but returns to his roots when he realises that money can't buy happiness.

Wednesday evening our costumes arrived. I have four costumes (and 5 costumes changes!), with ruffles, layers, ribbon and bright colours taking centre stage (so to speak). Here are a few pics:

My promenade dress
Me in my promenade dress

My woodworking costume
My woodworking shirt


My character shoes

Part of a suit (the skirt is currently being shortened!)

No comments:

Post a Comment