Thursday 21 April 2011

Spring trends hit the streets


I’ve been a bit of a recluse lately. After Half a Sixpence I’ve spent a lot of the time catching up on work in the confines of my flat. So today I decided to meet some old work friends for lunch (Kitchen Italia, Macaroni & Cheese: slightly naughty, very nice). As I approached Westfield I noticed that the spring/summer 2011 trends that have seeped through the catwalks to the high street stores are now being fully embraced. Yes, the shopping centre was awash with floor-sweeping maxi skirts, long wide-legged washed jeans, floaty chiffon shirts, printed maxi dresses, fringed bags and flashes of bright stripes.

It was a sight to behold! 

I love this time of year. It’s getting warm and people are becoming more positive, which gives them the confidence to break into the trends that have only been seen in magazines until now.  Sara, who was among the friends I had lunch with, looked fantastic in a pair of blue floral palazzo pants from River Island. “I love them,” she said when I complimented her, “they’ve spent a few days squashed in my drawer and they didn’t need an iron!” How very practical! “They will be perfect for when I go to Egypt in the summer, where it’s frowned upon to have any flesh on show.” Right you are.

Do you ever get a bit breathless when you see something you love that someone else is wearing? I had that feeling today, when I saw a girl wearing an eye-catching floppy straw hair with a black ribbon with white spots tied round the brim. The rest of her outfit was simple (flared jeans and a white tank top) but that hat didn’t need anything else. I asked her where she got it from.

“ASOS.” Pause. “It was only £18!”

You can tell she didn’t want to cheapen the hat by telling me how outstandingly cheap it was, but was so bewildered herself that she couldn’t hold it in! £18! A bargain indeed.

This Easter weekend is set to be a scorcher. I can’t wait to see what trends and outfits emerge, spurred on by the confidence the warm weather of spring, a looming Royal wedding and a welcome batch of bank holidays.

Bring on the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment