Wednesday 6 April 2011

An ode to brogues

I thought it’s time I told you how much I love my brogues.
My tan brogues
I bought them about three months ago and they haven’t left my feet since. I’d love to share the label with you but I’ve worn them so much the name has worn away and can't remember! I do know that I bought them from Dorothy Perkins (possibly the most underrated shop on the high street).

Anyway, my brogues.
This is why I love them so much:
1.       I feel fashionable in them without looking too over the top  
2.       They give any outfit a retro feel. Obviously they look great with skirts, but I’ve even been wearing my flared jeans with them and can’t help but admire how the trouser hems skim over the slightly pointed toe cap and broguing
3.       The tan colour. Worth mentioning because they’re not too light for winter and not too dark for summer. The colour also nods to the 1970s, a look that is of the moment
4.       The more I wear them, the better they look. I’ve even taken to wearing them around the house to give them a ‘worn-in’ look. Very vintage-inspired
5.       They look great with my wool skirt from River Island. Can I say that whoever designed this skirt is a genius. It’s grey with brown piping which means it will go with anything grey (or derivatives of grey eg. black, white) AND brown (or derivatives of brown eg. tan, pink)
6.       They are more practical than ballet pumps. Now I do love a nice ballet pump but then again I do live in London and the two don’t always work well together. These brogues are sturdy enough to withstand anything London throws at them
7.       They are COMFORTABLE. ‘Nuff said.
8.       The fact that they sit on the quirky side of fashionable footwear means I can get away with wearing traditionally mismatched colours with them. For example, black tights or navy tights
9.       They look great with just about any casual dress (for example I have a navy structured dress with a deep V neckline and pockets from Henleys which now doesn't feel right without these brogues nestled comfortably below them)
10.   They have a slight heel – very useful when you’re only 5 foot 4 inches.
Oh wow, I’ve thought of ten reasons why I love my brogues, that’s more than I thought.

And what's this? The perfect bag to go with them?

Indeed. This vintage inspired bag is from Topshop and, although it's not hugely roomy, it offsets my brogues perfectly (sorry the pic isn't great).

I bought it a couple of months ago on a whim after seeing it on the shop mannequin. She was wearing it with a jewel green floaty dress and brown wedges.

Not only does it have that back-to-school edge about it (like the brogues), it closes with a rather satifying 'click'.


No comments:

Post a Comment