Tuesday 26 April 2011

My lovely new maxi skirt that swishes quite nicely

The problem with giving up something for Lent is that when those 40 days and 40 nights are over you can't stop yourself from binging on whatever it is you gave up, whether that's chocolate, biscuits or swearing. Since I gave up clothes shopping for Lent I made it my business to stock up on new clothes last week. Yes I know, last week was still Lent but my mind told me that if I ordered clothes back then, they wouldn't arrive until after Lent anyway. I could picture myself rolling around the living room among piles of pristine new clothes, congratulating myself on doing so well.

Except that the clothes I ordered ended up arriving sooner than I thought. In fact they arrived on Good Friday (which meant that it was a very good Friday indeed) and my mind told me (of course I had no control over it) that I must wear something from my new stash because it-was-a-hot-and-sunny-weekend-and-as-we-live-in-England-which-hardly-ever-sees-hot-and-sunny-weekends-I-should-really-make-the-most-of-it-and-wear-something-new-and-summery. Make sense? Plus, Vicky told me that same day that apparently Sundays in Lent don't count. Since I only found that out on Good Friday I figured I was 3 days in lieu anyway (Vicky's mum has given up wine for Lent so in view of her discovery she's has been getting plastered on Pinot Grigio every Sunday and spending the next week recovering).

So, back to my new clothes. I went a bit mad buying maxi skirts, the one I'm wearing here is my favourite: 

Wearing my new maxi skirt on Saturday

Close-up of maxi skirt print

Nice isn't it? I LOVE the print; small birds sitting on branches or happily flying around (as if enjoying the fact that they have four blissful days off work, one might say). If the print were on wallpaper or curtains it would be a bit too Laura Ashley circa 1990 but on a skirt it works well. I tried to avoid maxi skirts that are too billowy or errr, pleaty-y because they're not normally conducive to being short, but, despite have small pleats, this one seems to work. What's more, it has just the right amount of 'swish'. I teamed it with a simple black vest, black narrow belt and a quirky heart-shaped bag from Primarni.

Where the devil did we go on Saturday you may ask yourself. Well, we moseyed on down to Euston to see an exhibition called 'Dirt' in the Wellcome Collection, which - although there was a conical glass of diarrhea from the 1800s, bricks made of dust and several large blocks made of human poo - we didn't feel was disgusting enough to be very interesting. Next we stumbled upon a contemporary art exhibition in the crypt underneath an old church. The art itself wasn't my cup of tea (dirty bed sheets hanging from the ceiling anyone?) but the cold, dark crypt itself was Dickensian enough to be a bit spooky. Next it was on to the St Pancras Rennaissance Hotel for a quick pomegranate juice before walking to Oxford Circus and having a beer at Aqua, a rooftop bar. And very nice it was too.

Trying to be interested in the art inside the crypt

Hovering round the entrance to the crypt


Me in front of the St Pancras Rennaissance Hotel
And while I'm posting photos, here are some of Alex because he was there too: 

Alex in the crypt
Outside St Pancras hotel

Alex considering the fantasticness of a four day weekend in the hotel bar

No comments:

Post a Comment