Wednesday 8 June 2011

Can I wear a jumpsuit to a wedding?

Good question, and one I recently needed to ask myself. So this is what I'm thinking.

Right. There are three weddings coming up this summer and it's time to begin the annual wedding sartorial treasure hunt. In order to make a desicion I considered the styles of wedding this new outfit was to appear at:

Me wearing the Monsoon jumpsuit in question

Wedding number 1 - Simon and Von. Simon is one of Alex's friends and their wedding reception is in a country pub

Wedding number 2 - Jasmine and ???. Can't remember his name but he's from Bangladesh so I'd probably only spell it wrong anyway. That means it's an ASIAN WEDDING which I'm very excited about

Wedding number 3 - Tonino and Marcia. Tonino is my cousin and IT'S GOING TO BE IN THE COUNTRY IN ITALY which I am also extremely excited about

I can therefore picture myself floating around all three in a beautiful maxi dress that is nice and flowy at the bottom and fairly fitted at the top in order for it to look less beach-y. So I began my search in Monsoon, home of ethnic and boho inspired wedding guest attire. And do you know what I came out with?

A jumpsuit.

Despite having said in the past that I didn't think jumpsuits were really me, I saw it hanging on the rail, made a beeline for it and found myself taking it to the shop till. I tried it on as soon as I got home and love it for these reasons:

- The fabric is a beautiful drapey jersey which is uber flattering on the curves
- The print is subtle, pretty and sophisticated to offset the edgy jumpsuit style
- It comes with a belt which cinches one's waist in beautifully
- It'll stand out from the crowd.

Now the problems with the jumpsuit are:

- It's £65 which is quite steep really
- I probably won't wear it again after the aforementioned weddings
- The weddings I'm going to aren't 'fashiony' enough for it
- There's going to be someone there who won't approve because it's not 'traditional' wedding attire

To go back to the original question 'can I wear a jumpsuit to a wedding', I reckon that yes you can, but only if it's a city wedding with young, fashion-savvy people where it'll be appreciated. Otherwise you risk various older relations making jokes about pyjamas etc.

What have I decided? The jumpsuit is (relunctantly) going back to the shop, probably to be biught by a trendy girl who's off to a cool London wedding and I'm hoping a nice floaty jersey dress will come into my life soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment